By Matt Koontz and Eric Jacinto
So for those who are new to the world cup and how it goes I will explain. There are 32 teams broken up into 8 groups of 4 as seen below.
Each win a team scores is 3 points, a draw is 1 point, and a loss is 0. Each team will play everyone in their group one time and then the top 2 teams from each group will move on to the final 16. The final 16 will be one game elimination style until we get a champion. If there is a tie in points in a group it will go to goal differential to determine who moves on to the final 16. The games start tomorrow at 11 AM/ET or 6 PM in Russia!!! Russia vs. Saudi Arabia
Click here to view the Group Games/Matches Schedule
- The favorites to watch are Germany who won the last world cup in 2014. They have a great midfield, solid defense, the best goalie in the world and some good striking. They did confusingly leave out Leroy Sane from their squad which might backfire on them.
- Spain is another favorite with their incredible midfield depth, their select few strikers are their weak spot, their solid but aging defense, and their goalie being David De Gea might get them to the world cup finals.
- Brazil is a lot of peoples favorite as they have probably the best front 10 in the world cup but i worry about the play of their goalie a bit compared to the two I mentioned before. But if they can keep possession of the ball and use their incredible attacking talent they could easily win the world cup this year.
- France is the final of the top 4 favorites to win the world cup and they are my pick to win it. They do have a young team which worries me a bit with experience in this competition but they are hungry and fast. I love what this team has all around and believe if Hugo Lloris steps up to his normal level we will see them really take form as a favorite.
- Belgium, they aren't really a dark horse per say but they have a pretty good shot at making some noise and potentially winning the world cup this year with their talent. They were one of my personal top 3 picks but when they chose to leave Naingolan off the roster i dropped them significantly and I believe it will hurt them badly.
- Nigeria, they are the youngest team in the world cup but i believe they have a lot of unknown talent to the average soccer fan and we will see them shock a lot of people and make a run into the quarter finals.
- Australia, not many people have them making it out of their group but i think they will make the final 16 and could possibly win a game there. Tim Cahill's play will be key as he is the essential energy force behind this team and their fan base. This Australian legend will be playing in his final world cup.
- Colombia, is my final dark horse I believe their roster is overlooked by many and if they can stay healthy and keep clean of cards they might make a run into the quarter finals. I wouldn't sleep on James Rodriguez and his team.
- Portugal, I believe they have a great roster and they have the 2nd best player in the world but I don't believe their defense will hold up. Leaving Bruma off their roster offensively is a mistake that will cost them.
- Argentina, Messi sadly won't win us a world cup. They left Icardi off the roster which would have helped with some of the offensive work load and the rest of the team hasn't shown signs of being able to do much to help get to the finals. Messi if anyone though could carry a whole nation so we will see.
- Poland, personally I am worried about the play of their defense and think it could cost Lewandowski a chance at a run deep into this years world cup.
My final 16:
I have Germany, Brazil, Spain, France, Australia, Nigeria, Argentina, Poland, Belgium, England, Colombia, Mexico, Costa Rica, Portugal, Egypt, and Uruguay.
- I will be updating the tables as games play out and keeping you all updated on the world cup each day. Enjoy the greatest sporting event in the world!!!!!
- Matt Koontz
I will predict the two teams that will advance from each group. The teams in Bold is the Group winner.
Group A: Egypt and Russia
Group B: Portugal and Spain
Group C: France and Australia
Group D: Argentina and Nigeria
Group E: Brazil and Costa Rica
Group F: Germany and Mexico
Group G: Belgium and England
Group H: Colombia and Japan
My Top three teams to win it all:
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.